Re: installation on powerbook 17''

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 01:50:28 -0400, Panagiotis G. Sebos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently got a 17'' powerbook and looking into
> installing linux on it.
>
> Has anyone installed debian in the 17''?

I installed using the iBook kernel image from

http://www.ppckernel.org/kernel.php?id=20

It detected the Superdrive as hda and the harddisk as hdc, so i had to
do fdisk/mke2fs/yaboot by hand. After running fdisk and creating the
filesystem, I had to mount it to /target and let the installer install
the base system. Then I had to download the latest Yaboot from

http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot

> What about the X11? Has anyone some sample
> configuration for it? I guess that there are
> not accelerated drivers for the nvidia cards.

I had no luck yet with X11, only 8bpp using the Open Firmware
Framebuffer. When booting with rivafb, the screen stays black, and in
syslog it says:

rivafb: could not retrieve EDID from OF

is that related to the error?

> Thanks!