Re: installation on powerbook 17''

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 10:06, Lindsay Jack wrote:

> I too would be very interested to know if anyone has had any success
> with this.  I've been trying to do a debian install over the last few
> days but am having problems finding a linux.bin that will boot the
> powerbook successfully (I believe that I need a linux.bin file with
> ATA-100 support, and support for the USB controller).  I can find
> a kernel image (from http://valla.uchicago.edu/ppc/vmlinux-pbg412.bz2 )
> that has the ATA-100 support, but this hangs the machine
> while trying to get past the USB stage.  Unfortunately, this is the only
> mac that we have, so I can't compile on another machine to create the
> correct kernel image.  Would anyone know of a downloadable image that I
> could use to get the powerbook 17" up and into the debian install
> process?

There is a problem with this machine model that I haven't been able to
solve yet.

To get it to work, you'll have to use a very recent kernel from my
"devel" tree (rsync.penguinppc.org::benh-devel) (though that will soon
be released as stable, as soon as 2.4.21 is out) _AND_ you'll have to
disable the L3 cache (boot with "nol3" on the kernel command line)

Ben.