Re: installation on powerbook 17''

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 01:50:28PM -0400, Panagiotis G. Sebos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently got a 17'' powerbook and looking into
> installing linux on it.
>
> Has anyone installed debian in the 17''?

I too would be very interested to know if anyone has had any success
with this.  I've been trying to do a debian install over the last few
days but am having problems finding a linux.bin that will boot the
powerbook successfully (I believe that I need a linux.bin file with
ATA-100 support, and support for the USB controller).  I can find
a kernel image (from http://valla.uchicago.edu/ppc/vmlinux-pbg412.bz2 )
that has the ATA-100 support, but this hangs the machine
while trying to get past the USB stage.  Unfortunately, this is the only
mac that we have, so I can't compile on another machine to create the
correct kernel image.  Would anyone know of a downloadable image that I
could use to get the powerbook 17" up and into the debian install
process?

thanks

Lindsay
--

Dr. Lindsay Jack
Signal Processing & Communications Division    email :lDOTbDOTjackATlivDOTacDOTuk