Re: best place to put sysctl directions

Hello Bastien

Thanks alot for your answer!

On Sonntag, 08-Jun-03 at 21:39:57, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 21:41, Andreas Wüst wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I want to alter some sysctl's during boot time, and, of course I
>> could do it via the sysctl configuration file itself, but I want to
>> do some "for f in .. done" and some "echo"ing.
>>
>> Since I want to do this during boot time, I thought I would put it in
>> /etc/init.d/, but since it is a script not installed by a .deb
>> package, I wondered if there is some better place to put user
>> affiliated scripts.
>>
>> Second, policy would make one add some "start/stop/..." logic to the
>> scripts started via rcX, what would I want to put in "stop" etc.,
>> since it would not be possible to restore original sysctl values,
>> besides I don't want them to alter anyway, I want them to stay after
>> boot time. Just some dummy entry doing nothing?
>>
>> I hope someone can help me figure this out, or point me to some stuff
>> I can RTFM (or to some more apprropriate list, since this is not very
>> -powerpc related, but I didn't want to ask on -devel).
>
> Try editing /etc/sysctl.conf, it should be automatically read on boot.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about in the introduction, but there you
can only feed single entries, you can't loop over several directories,
and echoing is not possible.

Of course I could add every single direction, but i) I am too lazy and
ii) maybe there is some directory added (like in ../conf/*/..) and I
would like to also catch the entries therein (if they match the filename
of course.. ;) ).

--
Best wishes,
Andi