Re: potato chrp ISO?

On Friday 06 June 2003 16:24, Jens Kutilek wrote:

> You could try the installation instructions I have written on
> <http://www.kutilek.de/technik/debian-rs6k>.
>
> You have to replace the kernel on the rescue disk with the one provided
> on that page.

Thanks,

the instructions are great.

Correction: I had to press "8" on the serial console to get to the OF
prompt. F1, F5, F8 are to press on a graphical console and 1, 5, 8 on a
serial one.
There is no "5" in the menu which I got into by pressing "1", but an "X"
clearly gave me the exit option.

The kernel http://www.kutilek.de/technik/linux.bin threw the following
error:

0 > boot floppy:,\linux.bin root=/dev/sda4 chrpboot starting: loaded at
0x00400000
gunzipping (0x00010000 <- 0x00416470:0x004d96ec)...
Unexpected Firmware Error:
DEFAULT CATCH!, code=fff00700 at   %SRR0: 0083b960   %SRR1: 00083000
 ok

but

0 > boot floppy:,\linux.bin root=/dev/sda4  video=keep chrpboot
console=ttyS0

booted well though it lacks nfs functionality ("fs type nfs not supported
by kernel") and vfat ("fs type vfat not supported by kernel")

(I used Marco's kernel to boot (it boots as well), but used your bz2 and
tar.bz2 then)

Using nano over the serial cable and minicom was a nightmare, because I am
not used to it and most of the screen did not get redrawn, so I did not
see my lines. Consequently, the network wasn't set up (no
/etc/network/interfaces) so I had to quit the apt section of the
base-install.

I forgot to configure the network via the installer menubefore "Now reboot
with the hard disk for root partition:" so I had no
/etc/network/interfaces!  BTW, over the Serial console, one cannot change
the virtual consoles so if a mount gets stick, you may have to reboot.

My system then lacked bunzip2 and I had to install it via a floppy disk ...
:-( A bit of a mess.

(for a beginner, it is not clear where to put the files before bunzip2 and
tar -x:
# cd /
# bunzip2 vmlinux.bz2
# cd /lib/modules
# tar xjf modules-2.4.17-pre2-ben0.tar.bz2)

After the mkofboot -v and reboot the OF did not find the software.
Then I told at the OF prompt "boot disk", but after loading it hung and I
did not see why, no matter which kernel I used:

boot disk: root=/dev/sda4 video=keep chrpboot console=ttyS0  -
the "-" is where the "/" startet to rotate and got stuck with code E140

Any clue?

Thx

Mark

--
Krisztian Mark Szentes
produktivIT   -  Open-Source Solution Provider