Re: getting external monitors to work with 15" powerbook

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 00:31, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 15:51, John Leach wrote:
> >
> > The only thing that makes a difference is changing the color depth.
> > At 24 bit everything has a yellow tinge (removing Blue)
> > At 16 bit everything is a bit more random, but mostly pink/purple.
> > (removing Green)
> > At 8 bit everything looks fine until you start opening applications
> > (with new colours) that change the palette.  This just starts shuffling
> > colours around randomly as you change focus.
>
> Are the colors in the focussed window correct though? If so, that's
> normal behaviour of switching between several private colormaps.

Yes, but only in 8 bit mode of course.  I kind of guessed the switching
of colormaps would be to blame, but thought it was interesting
none-the-less and best to include it.

> > http://www.johnleach.co.uk/documents/powerpc/XFree86.0.log.dri
> > This is the "dri-trunk" packages, with 2 monitors, producing the yellowy
> > tinge.
>
> For one thing, behaviour is undefined if you mix Option "UseFBDev" and
> dualhead.

This config is the closest I can get to a working setup.

With FBDev turned off on both screens I get a corrupted screen, zoomed
x5 or so with spaced out pixels in randomy colours (and cloned on the
second monitor).

With FBDev turned on for both screens, I get only flat blocks of
correctly rendered colours with no detail rendered, no text, or icons,
images etc. (for example, the gdm login window is a block of grey, with
a smaller block of white inside it (the username/password box)).  The
second screen in this configuration has the broken colour rendering plus
artifacts from the primary screen (plus lots of other randomness).

I can only get sane screen rendering (except the colour problem) with
UseFBDev enabled for the primary screen, and disabled for the secondary
screen.

John.

--
GPG KEY: B89C D450 5B2C 74D8 58FB A360 9B06 B5C2 26F0 3047
   HTTP: http://www.johnleach.co.uk