Re: Installation problems on StarMax

Hi there,

Chris is right. They are oldworld and quik will work (at least on my 3000/180). You need to set (at least
initially) openfirmware to not autoboot. You also need to set it to use the keyboard and monitor as input/output
for OF (the default on mine is to use the serial port, which is NOT a good idea unless you want to try to get a
second computer to act as a consol - don't even think about going there). You should also set the boot path and
default kernel image name. You can change all these settings from a second screen when you are running off the boot
floppies. Load them as if you were doing a new install and get all the way to the screen about keyboard
configuration. Then use the keyboard combo of "alt right arrow" to activate a new screen. You can now use
"nvsetenv" to alter OF settings. This is a linux application provided with the boot floppies and loaded into the
ram disk.

I can't remember all the settings off the top of my head now and I am not at the machine. I'll get the details
together and post a step by step tomorrow...

Nick.

>Date:          Sun, 1 Jun 2003 14:10:47 -0700
>From:          Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@asu.edu>
>To:            debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org
>Subject:       Installation problems on StarMax
>
>Greetings,
>
>I'm installing Woody on a StarMax 5000/300.  It's got an IDE HDD and
>SCSI CD-ROM and ZIP.  It will not boot from the CD-ROM drive, so I have
>to use floppies to install.  I've gotten as far as ``Make System
>Bootable''; unfortunately, after the installer puts Quik on the system,
>it is not bootable.
>
>As I understand it, StarMaxes are considered NewWorld machines -- they
>should use Yaboot then, not Quik, right?  (I'm really not very familiar
>with PowerPC hardware, having only done one installation on an iMac
>before.)  There is no boot floppy for NewWorld that I can find, only a
>rescue.bin which is not bootable (shouldn't it be though?).
>
>I assume it is trying to install a useless Quik because I used the
>powermac instead of new-powermac, but I couldn't find another option.
>
>If I am correct that this box needs Yaboot and not Quik, how do I get
>that installed?  ATM the box is not bootable except via floppy, and the
>only bootable floppy I has just dumps me right to the installation.
>
>Any assistance anyone can provide would be much appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>--
>Pax vobiscum; pax cum omnibus.
>
>Thanasis Kinias
>tkinias at asu.edu
>Doctoral Student, Department of History
>Arizona State University
>Tempe, Arizona, U.S.A.
>

>--

Dr. N.R. Helps
Medical Research Council Protein Phosphorylation Unit
School of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB Complex
University of Dundee
Dundee