Re: install trouble - drive not detected 8600/300

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 09:58:33PM +0100, Branden Faulls wrote:
> I'm attempting to install Debian Woody 3.0 r1 onto a PowerPC 8600/300.
> The box currently dual boots OS9 and YellowDogLinux 2.3 using BootX.
>
> My install process halts after Keyboard Selection, complaining of an
> inability to detect any drives.  I have found this problem in the
> archive and in Google, but cannot find a suitable solution for my box.
>
> Is there a boot parameter that I can pass to BootX that will indicate
> the location of the drive or the drive type?
>
> Is there likely to be an rc file in my Yellow Dog Installation that I
> could grep some working values from?
>
> Any help is appreciated as I'm keen to work with Debian again instead of
> Yellow Dog.  YDL chews the furniture and terrorizes the cat.

Must be quite chaotic there.

Have you tried installing using the new-powermac flavor? You may just
need to add or subtract a video=ofonly argument to get it to boot.
It may have better support for hardware.

In google someone mentioned a need for the hard disk spinup delay when
booting, maybe this is biting you up front too. That goes

nvsetenv boot-comand begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again boot

If you're booting with BootX, though, I can't imagine how it
would help.

--
http://Www.TruthAboutWar.org

Chris Tillman