Re: installing new kernel

Hej Jean,

> tar -xvzf 2.4.20-ben10.tar.gz. I followed instructions on how to install it,
> that's to say
> mv vmlinux /boot
> mv System.map /boot
> mv modules /lib/modules/VERSION
>
> I changed the yaboot.conf line image=/boot/vmlinux
>
> When I reboot i get this line of message "unable to locate
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-ben10..." something like that.
> However, when I do uname -a, I can see that the new kernel has been loaded.

I wonder if you have moved the 'modules' directory to
a directory called 'VERSION' in /lib/modules ? :)
(you're supposed to replace 'VERSION' with the current kernel
version; however I guess it's preferrable to uses the make
target modules_install, see below)

in order to get it back and hopefully properly installed,
don't use the mv command to install modules. issue the
following:

(cd to the directory where you've built the kernel)
mv /lib/modules/VERSION modules
make modules_install

this will do the trick. (hopefully :) )

> happens and I get the message "lpr executable could not be found in your
> path, check your installation". My question is: Do you think that there
> is any relation between the two messages.
probably not - the lpr executable is not part of the
kernel. do you have installed the lpr package?

bye
Philipp Kaeser / kaeser@gubbe.ch