tibook4 sound recording/playing dsp device et cetera

hello all.

so, I've got a tibook4 and I've got some problems with my alsa driver.
namely, alsa does not recognize my card as capable of recording sound.
has anyone had any similar expirience? I've really done everything by
the book, so I'm really desperate.

also: I can only use esd. I've tried using some other programs that use
the dsp device ... they can't open it [I've tried them as root, too].

actually, sound for most software works [POOOORLY] only through
esddsp...

I'm really desperate. Please help me.

Sinisa