Re: keymaps

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 21:37, Frank Murphy wrote:

> > I have a keymap "ibook2-de-latin1" of which i thought it might help me
> > to get a working alt and/or apple key,anything that lets me have these
> > ][{}@\ etc. signs by holding down the alt or the apple key so i don't
> > loose the special german characters, and enables me to write accents.
>
> Are you talking about X or the console? Where did you get this
> ibook2-de-latin1 keymap? Was it installed by Debian, or did you get it from
> somewhere else?

Well, i got the keymap form somewhere else, someone mailed it to me when
I was looking for the ~ on the default german layout, anyway, he mailed
me some xkb-stuff aswell, which I first didn't understand how to use it,
but yesterday I got it working, I had to delete my xkb directory and
replace it with his one, put the same rules in the XF86config file and
now it works, at least in X I have everything I want.

> > So this mentioned keymap wanted form me the files I mentioned before,
> > thats why I asked for them.
> > Now I changed the references or includes or links or what they ar called
> > in the keymap to the ones you pointed out.
> > Now I can load the keymap, but I lost the special german characters and
> > still can't write accents.
> > What can i do to get a de-keyboard that uses the alt or the apple key to
> > produce special-characters like @{}[]\ etc.
>
> do a dpkg-reconfigure console-data and reselect the keyboard that you think
> you have. (Sounds like a modern German layout, with keys that have
> a-umlaut/o-umlaut, plus a euro-sign on the 'G' key). Afterwards, in the
> console, start vim. Then, press 'i' to get into insert mode, and press the
> Right-hand alt key and the G key at the same time to get a Euro symbol. Then
> try to press the blue "fn" key, one of the alt keys, and the G.

Well, knowing which keys to press, now I do get all the symbols, at
least the ones I might need :-) although I can't do
dkpkg-reconfigure console-data
it tells me this:

get(console-data/keymap/policy) said at
/var/lib/dpkg/info/console-data.config line 1066, <STDIN> line 5.

I have to load the ibook keymap manualy. This sucks a little bit ,
especialy cause my keyboard is a bit strange after booting (yes I do
have this line in the yaboot.conf). Well it's not too bad, i can log in
as a user, do loadkeys and su from there on, but I would like to have
the keyboard I want everytime I boot as default.
What can be that message form above?

for now I'm quiet happy with the X keyboard, will have to change my
habbits a bit but for now I'll keep it as it is, doesn't have to be as
in MacOS.
Just the console...

Cheers
benjamin