Re: comparing x86 and powerpc laptops

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 07:08:08PM +1000, Ross Vumbaca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sven Luther wrote:
>
> >Compared to same priced x86 laptops, around 1300 Euros inclusive VAT,
> >the disadvantage of the ibook is that the screen is smaller (12" only)
> >but with mostly the same resolution. This can maybe even be seen as an
> >advantage in certain cases, as it makes for smaller laptops, which are
> >way more expensive when you consider x86 laptops. I am not sure i
> >remember well, but the similarly priced x86 laptops also have a combo
> >DVD/CD burner instead of the CDROM driver of the low end model.
> >
> >But on the plus side, i guess the CPU for such low range is about the
> >same for ibook and x86, and anyway, it is not the limiting factor in a
> >laptop. The difference is really in the graphic hardware and other
> >stuff, the ibook has a radeon mobility 7500, while most x86 laptops have
> >a much slower graphic chip, maybe a rage mobility or most probably a
> >chip using system memory or having 2 or 4 MB of ram. These should be
> >avoided as much as possible.
>
> That's not necessarily true. Most x86 laptops of a good brand have
> decent hardware now, especially graphics. I have an IBM Thinkpad lower
> end model from last year and that came with a Radeon 7000, while most of
> the slightly better ones had 7500. None of the IBMs have Rage anymore,
> and I have not seen new laptops with primitive graphics chips, or shared
> memory graphics for quite a while now.

Well, but they are usually more expensive, at least here in france.

> My laptop has a 14" screen, DVD, 1.6 Ghz P4M, 256 MB DDR (up to 1 GB)
> and it cost the equivalent of 1500 euros (including local taxes).

Well, the processor would be equivalent to a G3 800 Mhz i guess or
thereabout. The P4 1.4/1.5 was equivalent to a P3 1Ghz or thereabout if
i am not wrong. And there is no CD burner, so like said, it depends what it
gets you. As for the price, how much is the local taxes for you ? And
what exchange rate are you using  to calculate the euro price ? The
price i quoted are with around 20% VAT.

> That was last year, for the same price you get even more at the moment.
> If you look at e.g Asus L3 etc (which is around 1500 euros here) you
> will not see much value in an Apple (e.g Asus L3 has 15" LCD, P4 2Ghz+,
> Radeon 7500, DVD+CDRW, 256 MB DDR RAM (not PC100) etc). All these
> laptops have built in modems too.

What about ethernet ? What about harddisk ? What about battery life ? A
P4 2GHz would be a big power sucker and dissipate a lot of heat, and i
also seriously doubt that it is running at 2GHz when in battery mode.
Also, did i read this right, it is a P4, not a P4M ? Using a desktop
P4 processor on a laptop system is cheaper but not a choice solution. At
2GHz it should dissipate more than 50W, don't it ? Compare that to the ~
3W of the 750Fx.  And how loud would the fan be on such a laptop.

That said, the ibook price are also from last year, there will be a
speed bump and/or maybe a price drop nextly, if rumors are correct.

> The Apple machines are much more pricier than anything that is x86 in my
> opinion, laptops especially. At least that is the situation here.

Wrong, if you look at it really, this is not the case, you pay what you
get for, and the ibook are rather cheap for the price point. The only
negative point is that they have smaller screens, but that only means
that apple can spend more money on other stuff.

Friendly,

Sven Luther