Re: Trying to get XFree to work on a PowerBook G3.

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 12:27:20AM +0100, Peter M. Lemmen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently inherited an old PowerBook G3 (Oldworld, I believe. It wouldn't
> boot the CD, and BootX is working fine.) and have been installing Debian on
> it. It actually went quite well, with only a minor heart-attack when
> installing quick, which made the system no longer boot (and me not knowing
> the reset key-combination. :-) But I got it working again and am now trying
> to configure XFree, which is where I am stuck.
>
> I have tried using the fbdev, ati and atimisc drivers both from the stable
> (4.1.0) and testing (4.2.1) release. I've systematically tried different
> values for all options I imagined could have an impact, like using the
> kernel framebuffer interface, refresh rates for the screen and removing
> driver modules. The results are pretty much all similar.
>
> atimisc simply dies with a message of no screens found. I assume this is a
> wrong driver.
>
> ati and fbdev let the server start, but usually hang the whole machine with
> a black screen. fbdev sometimes lets me kill the server after a while (with
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace), ati always hangs. fbdev also sometimes produces bands
> of garbled pixels, but then it always hangs the machine.
>
> The kernel framebuffer driver itself seems to be working fine. I've not had
> any screen problems working in text mode and 'fbi' (a framebuffer image
> viewer) also works without problems.
>
> I use the following kernel arguments with BootX:
> video=atyfb:vmode:14,cmode:32,mclk:65
>
> I would appreciate any hints on which direction to go from here.

Take a look at

http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2002/debian-powerpc-200207/msg00331.html
Re: Linux 2.4 on PowerBook G3 pismo

And the thread it's in. Your powerbook may be a lombard or pismo,
that would probably be useful to know (I think the lombard has a
bronze keyboard).

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003