Re: Beige G3 X Windows

Le dimanche 09 mars vers 18:33 Shannon Neumann écrivît :

Hello,

> Has anyone had success getting X Windows set up on a beige G3?

Yes (ain't it fun?)

> What settings are required?  Any help would be appreciated.

This subject has already been discussed several times here, for example
have a look at the thread started by Ian Pushee in the early days of
january (Subject: XFree86 on G3/266).

I suppose you only have the built-in graphical card, (ATI-RageII Mach64)

I'll try to be brief; you need at last
 - a functionnal linux system ;),
 - a recent kernel (version >= 2.4.18),
 - XFree86 >= 4.2 (I got the sources, but you sure could install from
   debian's ftp).

Then grab the XF86Config-4 file Ian sent to the list in the thread, it
seems to be correct (unless the BusID item, you can get rid of it, see the
thread).

If you're still in trouble I can send you my XF86Config-4 file.

Hope that helps,

   \bye
      S.
--
 THERE WAS NO ROMAN GOD NAMED "FARTACUS".
 THERE WAS NO ROMAN GOD NAMED "FARTACUS".
 THERE WAS NO ROMAN GOD NAMED "FARTACUS".
 -+- Bart Simpson on chalkboard, episode #137