Re: Foolish Actions...

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 17:39:59 -0500, Narins, Josh composed:

> I've can't help playing with my kernel, especially when I realize I _need_
> UMSDOS support and I didn't compile it.
>
> Wow!
>
> I've been fiddling for a long time without making this mistake...
>
> > dpkg -i new-kernel.deb
> > modprobe <something>
>
> What a crash!
>
> It said I had 180 seconds to write down what it showed before it rebooted. I
> didn't write anything. I guess I was not thinking entirely straight.
>
> I think it said something like it was reaching for unallocated memory
>
> If I do "the idiot" again, would anyone be interested in having me write
> down the stuff inside 180 seconds?
>
> thx

btw, you can set your default timeout on a kernel oops higher or lower
than 180 -

in /etc/sysctl.conf:
kernel/panic=NN

and pass sysctl -w kernel.panic=NN to the kernel. man sysctl and man
sysctl.conf for more info.

eric
aka simonrvn #debianppc@irc.freenode.net

 ,''`.   http://www.debian.org/  | http://www.nuit.ca/
 : :' :  Debian GNU/Linux        | http://simonraven.nuit.ca/
 `. `'                           | PGP key ID: 6169 BE0C 0891 A038