Re: OpenGL support?

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 12:16:19PM +0100, Michael Ladwein wrote:
> I am using a PowerMac 9500 with 2MB ATI Mach 64 graphics card.
>
> I am planning to install Debian 3.0 but before doing so I would like to
> replace my video card by a better one (ATI Rage, Voodoo, ...)
>
> What I couldn't figure out is: Do the Xfree86 drivers have OpenGL support?
> If not: Where can I get appropriate drivers?

You don't need anything special for OpenGL "support", but I'm guessing
you probably want more than just support - specifically hardware
acceleration.

If it's a Mach64, there's no way you're going to get hardware
acceleration for 3D graphics. Mach64 didn't have anything for that. The
later 3D Rage chips, which were based on the Mach64 2D core, did have
some 3D graphics acceleration - and the dri-mach64 packages (see
http://www.apt-get.org/) would provide that. Don't expect big things
from it though - you're probably not going to get huge performance gains
with, say, QuakeII. But if lspci, or the board itself, says the card is
just a Mach64, don't bother, you're not going to get any 3D
acceleration, because it's not in the hardware.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net