Re: how can i improve open gl performance on a tibook 400?

I'm remembering more and more. :)  Yes -- you need to have ati (r128) you can compile it in, or just modprobe it (if you've allowed for that).  Another key is that to get acceleration (3d accel that is) I had to NOT use agpgart.  I read a lot that I needed it -- but I needed to remove it for it to work.

my XF86Config-4 is available here:  http://hspowers.inland.k12.mi.us/XF86Config-4

using "ati" or "r128" makes no difference, because "ati" automatically detects what to use.

Again, I have an iBook -- but I think the video hardware is identical.  (Just different resolution, and I'm clueless in that regard)

-Shawn

debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org wrote:
cheers for the tips. I reconfigured xfree and chose the fbdev xserver
driver. I still only got 150 ish fps from glxgears. glxinfo says

...snip...
direct rendering: No
...snip...

I have read that i need this to be enabled for acceleration to take place.
How can i enable it? I tried choosing the r128 driver from the dpkg
xserver menu instead of fbdev but x fails to start (i believe it said
'cannot read V_BIOS')

Am now trying to recompile the kernel with the r128 drm module and agpart
enabled.

cheers

matthew

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:43:24 -0500