powerbase240 won't boot, install problems

I am trying to install Debian onto a Powercomputing Powerbase240 Mac clone
from 1997. I am a newbie. I 've been using an install flppy, a boot floppy,
then a Debian PPC CD set for the rest of the install.

After the 2 floppies and a small install from CD 1, I got all the way to the
moment of truth where it should boot on its own...and the screen went black,
flashes a few times, hard drive idles...then black screen again.

I used the
ctrl-cmnd-p-r
key sequence to "cold" boot ...didn't work until I turned off the computer
and restarted it and used this key sequence again. I had to reinstall again.
I have now done this three times

What might be happening: I have a different monitor than the stock one that
came with the 240: a presario compaq 1400 monitor.
and there is a PC compatability card in the CPU box ( just a Pentium 144
motherboard that you could switch to under Mac OS 8.5...)if any people have
any suggestions on how to rectify this situation. please let me know what to
do. I bought this computer as is in 99'

Any help is appreciated.

Vince