Show /proc/apm status in root-tail

This isn't really a powerpc question, so apologies.

I'm using xpmumon to monitor my battery charge. I'd like to see a read
out from /proc/apm in a console or on my X desktop using root-tail which
seems to use a type of "tail -f" system for monitoring log files.

As /proc/apm isn't adding lines to itself I don't know how to monitor it
in this fashion other than writing a perl looping script that writes the
content of /proc/apm to a log file if the content has changed. Advice
gratefully received!
--
Rory Campbell-Lange
<rory@campbell-lange.net>