Re: What is /dev/ram

Title: Re: What is /dev/ram
At 12:51 pm -0700 15/1/03, Philip Larkin Waters wrote:
so I edited lilo.conf (for some reason there are two of them on my system, i edited both, because the first didn't seem to have any effect: set rootdev=/dev/ram)

You should only have one lilo.conf file which should contain something like the following:

# RAMDisk Debian Installer
rootdev=/dev/ram
mach_options= keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1
(It doesn't matter what else is in the file as long as every other line starts with "# "

Save the file and exit

This assumes that you've followed the instructions in the link I sent you which includes:
1.      Obtain the Apple MkLinux Booter from:   http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/

It comprises three folders , the contents of which need to be copied to Control Panels (1 file), Extensions (1 file) and Preferences (2 files) folders - it's pretty self-explanatory.

2.     Download the MachKernel-2.4.19-rc1-020626 from:   ftp://ppc.linux.or.jp/%2Fpub/users/ekato/nubus-pmac/old/2.4.19-rc1/

and MachKernel-Debian-woody-020722.gz from: ftp://ppc.linux.or.jp/%2Fpub/users/ekato/nubus-pmac/Debian_woody/

Rename from "MachKernel-Debian-woody-020722.gz" to "Mach Kernel" and place in the Extensions folder.

3.       Go to Control Panels and open MkLinux window, select Custom which opens lilo.conf

You've reported that you can't open MkLinux from Control Panels which suggests that you may not have followed the instructions correctly or something is broken on the Mac side.  The originator of the NuBus kernel that I used is on the Nubus list.  If the above doesn't help perhaps you should try posting there with a description of how you've got to where you are.

When I reboot:
"Cannot open root device "ram" or 01:00

what is /dev/ram

and what is /dev/sb.... whatever ..5 that I got before?

and what does set rootdev mean?

Until you've installed Debian on your Hard Disk booting from /dev/ram means that you start the boot process from the files you've copied into your Mac system folder.  After installation you edit lilo.conf to boot from the linux root partition that you've initialised and installed during the installation process.

These Nubus machines are quirky but if you follow the instructions it should get you there ;-)

Regards

Clive

--

Clive Menzies & Associates Limited