Re: Umax Pulsar with Woody freshly installed: X freezes

Hi Michael,
Hello All,

thanks for your answer, and sorry that this has taken so long to reply. I was quite busy and just had the opportunity to test your suggestions on weekend and yesterday evening.

[X freezes after Startup]
> Sounds like a problem with some hardware acceleration, which you can
> verify with Option "NoAccel". If that works, you can hope that only
> certain acceleration functions are affected, and play with the various
> "XaaNo..." options documented in the XF86Config-4 manpage.
Setting "NoAccel" "True" worked perfectly, but just like others pointed out before, X without hardware acceleration is too slow to work with. So I checked the "XaaNo*" options and finally
found "XaaNoScreenToScreenCopy" to not freeze X.
Instead, X terminated with the "Caught Signal 11. Server aborted." message.
I kept fiddling around with these options, and after turning on XaaNoPixmapCache and XaaNoOffScreenPixmaps I was back at the beginning: X freezed.
Adding XaaNoScanlineCPUToScreenColorExpandFill made X stable, finally.

But now I came across some new, and strange errors: I'm using "Sapphire" as window manager, and while having "NoAccel" activated I noticed that there are thin black lines surrounding windows, buttons and menus. But when "NoAccel" is deactivated and the options above are set, these lines are missing. Instead, the place where these lines should be shows the part of a window after it has been moved over it. This "pattern" stays in place even if the window is moved. Not only that this looks ugly, there is even some information on screen missing, because the icons sapphire is using (for menu, up and down arrow) aren't visible. The situation is worst for GTK-Applications: I tried galeon and gnome-terminal, and both Apps don't have a background. Okay, galeon displays a sites background, but the grey used for standard (unthemed) GTK-Application isn't drawn. You just see what is "behind" the window, the rest of the desktop is used as a background. This renders GTK-Applications useless, especially gnome-terminal, because the terminal window is badly redrawn: Not only that the background set for the terminal isn't shown, the text area doesn't get refreshed before a new piece of information is drawn. (So when pressing enter all lines move up, but the old posion isn't deleted)

Is there anything I can do about this? I tried some more combinations of "XaaNo*" options, but nothing worked. Any hints what I should try? I'm running the standard X-package from Woody, should I try to update to 4.2? I haven't tried because I read in some other postings that the situation was gettin even more worse after installation.

Cheers
Christian

Mit der Grupppen-SMS von WEB.DE FreeMail können Sie eine SMS an alle