Re: Umax Pulsar with Woody freshly installed: X freezes

On Die, 2003-01-14 at 11:04, Christian Walther wrote:

> [X freezes after Startup]
> > Sounds like a problem with some hardware acceleration, which you can
> > verify with Option "NoAccel". If that works, you can hope that only
> > certain acceleration functions are affected, and play with the various
> > "XaaNo..." options documented in the XF86Config-4 manpage.
> Setting "NoAccel" "True" worked perfectly, but just like others pointed
> out before, X without hardware acceleration is too slow to work with.

Sure, that's just to verify the problem is indeed related to
acceleration and not another part of the driver.

> So I checked the "XaaNo*" options and finally found "XaaNoScreenToScreenCopy"
> to not freeze X.
> Instead, X terminated with the "Caught Signal 11. Server aborted." message.
> I kept fiddling around with these options, and after turning on
> XaaNoPixmapCache and XaaNoOffScreenPixmaps I was back at the beginning:
> X freezed. Adding XaaNoScanlineCPUToScreenColorExpandFill made X stable,
> finally.
>
> But now I came across some new, and strange errors: I'm using "Sapphire"
> as window manager, and while having "NoAccel" activated I noticed that
> there are thin black lines surrounding windows, buttons and menus. But
> when "NoAccel" is deactivated and the options above are set, these lines
> are missing.

[ long description of display problems snipped ]

> Is there anything I can do about this? I tried some more combinations of
> "XaaNo*" options, but nothing worked. Any hints what I should try?

As this doesn't seem to happen with Option "NoAccel", it's most
definitely acceleration artifacts, and some combination of the "XaaNo"
options should work around it. The log shows the acceleration functions
the driver uses after a line like:

(II) RADEON(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)

An alternative to disabling acceleration functions would be trying to
fix them, of course.

> I'm running the standard X-package from Woody, should I try to update to 4.2?
> I haven't tried because I read in some other postings that the situation was
> gettin even more worse after installation.

It may be worse, or it may be better. You can always go back.