console rows/cols -- configurable?

I'm setting up a PowerMac 6500.  Since it only has 32MB RAM I am not going
to run X Windows, but instead plan to use it as a light duty server.  I
previously had LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 running on this box and since that distro
is no longer maintained am rebuilding it with Debian.

I did notice that LinuxPPC or maybe just that kernel (2.2.something) gave
me a console that was bigger than 80x25, probably closer to 120x40 or so.
I'd like to get that again, can anyone tell me if that is a setting I can
change.  Many thanks,

Allan

--
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." -- Chaucer