Re: HELP - can't boot into OSX - can I restore my data from debianppc?

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 10:39:16AM -0800, Jim McLoughlin wrote:
> I was initially able to boot into OSX, but noticed that it was not showing
> the right stats on my hard drive.  It showed almost all the space available,
> but all of my files / apps were still there.  When I ran fsck (to disk
> utility) IT would end with "checking category table..... hash table full".
> At his point, when yaboot starts to boot into OSX, there is a brief screen
> flash, and I am back at the yaboot prompt.  I can't boot into safe or single
> user mode under OSX.

Ah, the joys of running a UNIX that doesn't have an fsck capable of
actually repairing its own filesystems...

> 1. Find another mac user, and boot up my tibook as a firewire slave (by
> holding down "t" during boot").  See if I can mount my drive from the other
> computer, backup, and reinstall everything.

Maybe. Dunno if OS 9.x would read it, but it could work.

> 2. Mount the drive from debian, copy all crucial data over into a big tar.gz
> file, then reinstall OSX.  This is where I need help - I vaguely recall a
> tool being available to mount my osx drive (which is HFS+).  Can anyone
> advise me as to which packages I need to install to do this, and whether
> this method would allow me to safely copy data (without bad side effects due
> to the 2 different filesystem types)?

You can 'apt-get install hfsplus', then use hpmount to "mount" the
device, and hpcp to copy critical files off the filesystem. I'm not sure
if hfsplus yet supports HFS+ writing, but for your purpose that doesn't
sound like a high priority - it'll work well enough to at least get
files _off_ it.

> Finally, once I try the above (successfully or not), can I reinstall OSX
> onto the previous partition without munging my current debian install?  Or
> will I need to reinstall that as well.  I would assume things should be OK,
> but recall some potential issues with the OSX installer overwriting
> bootstrap partitions, etc.

It won't overwrite the bootstrap partition, but it will change what's
set in the NVRAM as the boot device. You can either hold Option at boot
(if your system has an OF with the Option menu feature - 4.x only?), or
boot to the OF prompt and type:

  boot hd:[bootstrap partition number],\\yaboot

at the prompt, and Linux should boot normally.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net