Help Please!! SCSI install problem

Hi all,
I posted this a couple of days ago and haven't seen
any replies yet. I am kind of deperate to get this
solved. I have added a couple of additional pieces of
information from a couple of things I tried since my
first post.

The machine is a Blue and White G3 (400MZ)Server with
896 MB of RAM. It has 3 SCSI drives (one 9gb and two
18gb) and two 40gb firewire drives. There are no ata
disk drives connected.
I am able to boot from the CD holding down the "C" key
and can boot up with a 2.4 kernel. I can't boot with
the 2.2 kernel. I go through the initial installation
procedures and when I get to Disk partioning I get the
message:
"No hard disk drives could be found and the network is
configured. Please select "next" to mount the root
file system via NFS."

I switched to the alternate console and  did a dmesg |
grep scsi and found that only the MESH driver was
as a module and couldn't find it.

The scsi controller is an adaptec ultra2-lvd/se. It
came with the machine from Apple
The information on the chip itself is
Adaptec
AIC-7890ab
CQEC910
748411
BK1986.1
KOREA
The drives are daisy chained together off the one
card. I believe they are terminated correctly as they
have worked fine in Mac OS for quite some time. It
would seem I need to get scsi support for the adaptec
controller loaded. How do I do that? I tried a
modprobe and insmod on the adaptec driver (at a
friend's suggestion who is quite experienced with
Debian on Intel hardware) with no success. Any help
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Dave