Re: Help Please!! SCSI install problem

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 05:40:56AM -0800, David Tisdell wrote:
> Hi all,
> I posted this a couple of days ago and haven't seen
> any replies yet. I am kind of deperate to get this
> solved. I have added a couple of additional pieces of
> information from a couple of things I tried since my
> first post.
>
> The machine is a Blue and White G3 (400MZ)Server with
> 896 MB of RAM. It has 3 SCSI drives (one 9gb and two
> 18gb) and two 40gb firewire drives. There are no ata
> disk drives connected.
> I am able to boot from the CD holding down the "C" key
> and can boot up with a 2.4 kernel. I can't boot with
> the 2.2 kernel. I go through the initial installation
> procedures and when I get to Disk partioning I get the
> message:
> "No hard disk drives could be found and the network is
> configured. Please select "next" to mount the root
> file system via NFS."
>
> I switched to the alternate console and  did a dmesg |
> grep scsi and found that only the MESH driver was
> as a module and couldn't find it.

Here, you are talking about using modconf, right?

> The scsi controller is an adaptec ultra2-lvd/se. It
> came with the machine from Apple
> The information on the chip itself is
> Adaptec
> AIC-7890ab
> CQEC910
> 748411
> BK1986.1
> KOREA
> The drives are daisy chained together off the one
> card. I believe they are terminated correctly as they
> have worked fine in Mac OS for quite some time. It
> would seem I need to get scsi support for the adaptec
> controller loaded. How do I do that? I tried a
> modprobe and insmod on the adaptec driver (at a
> friend's suggestion who is quite experienced with
> Debian on Intel hardware) with no success. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The adaptec driver you are referring to here - came from where?
It's likely any driver you found hanging around is designed
for i386. Maybe you could go back to the source and see if they
have a linux powerpc driver?

If modconf is not showing it, then I think it's not available
within the Debian installer and the insmod approach is what
you have to do.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003