Re: eth0: switched to forced 10bt

Nicolai Langfeldt wrote:
| Raph HP wrote:
|
|> Hello,
Hello ;)

|> I have a TiBook III with Ben's kernel 2.4.20-ben1. When I do not have
|> any ethernet cable plugged in, every 5 seconds I get a message

I have a ibook 2.2 (aka ibook3) also with ben's kernel, with the same symptoms

|> eth0: switched to forced 10bt
|> and
|> eth0: switched to forced 100bt
|>
|> Is it normal?
|>
| Yes, it's normal.  If the interface is up it will try to speak ethernet
| to something at the other end of your cable.  Since there is no cable it
| keeps trying with different speeds to see if the different speeds work
| better.

Hum.. but shouldn't the driver detect the lack of cable (when it's plugged out)?

| ifconfig eth0 down
|
| fixes it.
|
|> Is there a way to get rid of it without turning eth0 down?

Same question.. this doesn't feel the correct way to solve this.. but just a
workaround..

| Why do you want it up when it's not in use?

Simple.. to detect when I connect it to a cable and to automatically run dhcpcd
or dhclient to fetch for a network config.
Basically, in my university i have to jump from room to room, disconnecting and
connecting back in onother room, basically.. allways on the move.. ehehe
The ability to detect a wired cable and try to get a network config is pretty nice.
But having those messages in the console just because I desconnected the cable
is not very nice.. I could go for a message like.. lost connection bla bla.. and
~ another one when it got a connection back.. .but the present kind of verbosity
is not welcome.

| Nicolai

Miguel