Re: eth0: switched to forced 10bt

Raph HP wrote:

Hello,

I have a TiBook III with Ben's kernel 2.4.20-ben1. When I do not have
any ethernet cable plugged in, every 5 seconds I get a message

eth0: switched to forced 10bt
and
eth0: switched to forced 100bt

Is it normal?

Yes, it's normal. If the interface is up it will try to speak ethernet to something at the other end of your cable. Since there is no cable it keeps trying with different speeds to see if the different speeds work better.

ifconfig eth0 down

fixes it.

Is there a way to get rid of it without turning eth0 down?

Why do you want it up when it's not in use?

In a general way, is there a way to get rid of kernel messages in the
text consoles? (I know it is not a ppc-specific question, please excuse
me, but I did not find an answer elswere yet)

See /etc/syslog.conf

Nicolai