Re: error mounting empty file as disk with MOL

On Wed 12/24/03 15:39, Nicolas Bertolissio wrote:
> # hformat /home/mol/macosx
> hformat: /home/mol/macosx: error opening medium (File too large)
>
> 3GB is too much for ext3?

I am just now starting to play with linux on powerpc's, so I've never
setup MOL. But my expectation is you need to make a loopback device for
MOL to use. Its been a while sence I've done that but its something
like:

1) Make the blank file (3G, if my early morning math is ok):
    dd if=/dev/zero of=mynewfs bs=1024 count=$((3*1024*1024))
2) Setup the loopback devide:
    losetup /dev/loop0 mynewfs
3) Format the disk:
    Don't know what args hformat, but generally something like:
    mkfs -type ext2 /dev/loop0

Now you can either mount it (/dev/loop0) or tell MOL to use it like it
was a real partition. This is normally how you do encrypted filesystems,

Even if MOL doesn't need a loopback, it most likely will be able to
handle one since its just a blockdevice now, generally indistinguishable
from /dev/hda1.

Hope this helps.

--

| Josh Lauricha            |