Re: Alsa problems with 2.6.0

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 07:29:13PM +0100, Lucas Moulin wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Lucas,

> I'm using Linux 2.6.0-ben1 but have problems with alsa. I did what I
> read on this list, i.e. put a file in /etc/modprobe.d to load the
> modules in the correct order, and so on. I've configured alsa-base the
> right way, I think. Here are my problems.
>
> When I plug headphones, the sound's muted, and I have to change the
> Master sound level to bring it back. Known problem so far. But if I do
> this, then the speakers are turned back on.

if you use pbbuttonsd and the (fn)+F4/F5 buttons to adjust volume, then
pbbuttonsd adjust both master and speaker volume and thus reactivating
the speaker channel. Locate the line reading mixer channels (or similar)
in /etc/pbbuttonsd.conf and remove the speaker-part to have pbbuttonsd
adjust the master volume only or use alsamixer (or any other mixer for
that matter) to adjust master volume only.

> Secondly, with this kernel and alsa, the sound's way too powerful if I
> set the volume to the max. It wasn't this loud when I used 2.4 kernel or
> OS X. I'm afraid I might break my speakers because of this :(

On my machine the bass level was way too high after sleep causing ugly
sound, if this is what you're experiencing the solution I found might
work for you too: I have pbbuttonsd start a small script that - upon
resume - uses aumix to restore sound levels _twice_ with intermediate
and with desired settings to force the levels to be touched no matter
what. With this the bass level is set correctly after resume.

> Finally, rhythmbox takes forever to start playing a song with alsa.
> Never had this problem with OSS-based 2.4.

Have you tried oss-emulation or sdl ?

> BTW, I'm not using any sound server.
>
> Could these issues be solved ? Should I patch the kernel"s alsa with a
> newer one, and if so, how ? Should I just wait and stick with the
> previous stable kernel ? Thanks for your help.

AFAIK the alsa source that comes with 2.6 is pretty much the same
than the source in the alsa-source package testing holds, so
switching to 2.4 for alsa would be pointless. If OSS works better
for you - it's still in 2.6.

> Cheers.
> --
> Lucas Moulin <lucas@lautre.net>