Re: Would setting the CONFIG_RTC option break the powerpc kernel on your machine ?
- To: Sven Luther <email@example.com>
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Would setting the CONFIG_RTC option break the powerpc kernel on your machine ?
- From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:24:54 +1100
- Message-id: <1071642293.753.414.camel@gaston>
- In-reply-to: <20031216105656.GA5291@iliana>
- References: <20031216105656.GA5291@iliana>
On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 21:56, Sven Luther wrote:
> On my Pegasos/CHRP box, i noticed that not setting the CONFIG_RTC option
> in the Character device part of the configuration (not to be confused with
> the CONFIG_GENERIC_RTC and CONFIG_PPC_RTC options in the General setup
> part) will cause some strange delay when setting the hardware clock on
> my box, and i believe the clock will be badly set (have to check again
> to confirm though). Setting CONFIG_RTC will fix that, and furthermore,
> in the help of the CONFIG_RTC there is some mention of this option being
> needed for using the RTC clock in a SMP compatible fashion.
Hrm... that SMP thingy is weird. CONFIG_RTC shouldn't be used on
most PPCs. If GENERIC_RTC & PPC_RTC doesn't work properly, then we
need to fix the pegasos patch.
> So, i believe this option is needed for me, and probably also for the
> powerpc-smp config.
> But, since the powerpc configurations are common to many subarch, there
> is maybe a reason for not having this options set, and i would like to
> know if setting it per default in the powerpc and powerpc-smp
> configurations, but not in the powerpc-small one, is likely to break on
> some of the supported powerps subarches out there.
CONFIG_RTC will definitely break a pmac