IBM RS/6000 B50 problems

Hi PowerPC gurus :-)

I'm trying to install Debian Stable (or unstable) on a new IBM RS/6000
B50. But I'm unable to boot any kernel (or the installation system).
As I know, the Debian boot-floppies doesn't support this hardware type
directly, so I have create my own floppies:
1. downloaded the rescue image, and dd'ed to a floppy (vfat format) [1]
2. downloaded the root image, and dd'ed to a floppy (ext2?)         [1]
3. replace the kernel image in the rescue floppy with a kernel image,
which should boot on a rs/6000 [2] (google was my friend here).
	mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt; cp linux.bin /mnt; umount /mnt

I'm able to boot the kernel with the following kernel arguments from the
Openfirmware prompt:
> boot floppy:,\linux.bin root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1 video=ofonly

the kernel boots fine, and detect all internet disks, the matrix
card, and a floppy drive (fd0).

After two or tree seconds the kernel stops, and display the message,
that I should insert the next floppy disk (root floppy).

And here, the problems starts:
I replace the disk and hit enter. But the kernel *doesn't* try to access
the floppy drive (or the cdrom-drive), it simply dies with the following
(well known message :-( ):
Cannot open root device "fd0" or 02:00
Rebooting in 180 seconds....

The RS/6000 status display is now: 7777 (very bad) :-(

I'm pretty sure, the kernel supports floppy drives, because a fd0 device is
detected during startup.

I have also playied with various other kernel arguments:
prompt_ramdisk=1, root=/dev/mem, root=/dev/mem0, ramdisk_size=8192,
chrpboot
no different, except for the kernel dies immediately if I use /dev/mem*
as root device.

I haven't found a kernel image, which supports network boot, on the net,
so I haven't tested this method yet.

I have no further ideas now.
Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,
Thorsten

p.s. btw kernel images from d-i are not tested

[1] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-powerpc/current/chrp/images-1.44/
[2] http://www.kutilek.de/technik/debian-rs6k

--
Thorsten Sauter