ADB option to turn off in kernel with testing?

Well, I bit the bullet and went with Debian testing so I could install
all sorts of things that I'd been wanting (OpenOffice for instance);
but unfortunately some kernel option to do with ADB (I think) that was
necessary for woody needs turning off for testing, because random garbage
characters started coming out of my keyboard after upgrading (so I can't
currently log in ...)  I tried turning off ADB altogether but now, rather
than garbage, I get nothing out of my keyboard.  Is it the raw keycodes
(or the like) option that needs disabling whilst leaving the rest of ADB
enabled, or is it something else?  I *can* cycle through all options if
necessary, but if someone knows the answer I might then be able to spend
tomorrow doing some work rather than emergency system maintenance :-)

Diana.