Configuring for Diskonkey

I installed DebianPPC3.0(Woody) on an 800Mhz iMac 17"LCD. I'm having trouble getting Debian to recognize a Diskonkey (a small USB data storage device).

When installing, I made sure to include the module for usb-storage support. I then did:
#modprobe usb-storage
#mkdir /mnt/diskonkey
and added the following line to /etc/fstab:
/dev/sda1 /mnt/diskonkey auto noauto,user,exec,nodev,owner 0 0

However, when I try to mount the diskonkey:
#mount /mnt/diskonkey
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

When I started using the diskonkey in Yellow Dog Linux (my stable system), it "just worked" right out of the box--complete plug&play. With it mounted, these are the entries in:
/etc/mtab:
/dev/sda1    /mnt/diskonkey    vfat    rw,nosuid,nodev    0    0
/etc/fstab:
/dev/sda1    /mnt/diskonkey    auto    noauto,owner,kudzu    0    0

Noticing that with diskonkey mounted (under YDL) the file type in /etc/mtab is vfat, I checked to see if I have a fs entry for vfat (under Debian). I do not:
#cat /proc/filesystems
[No entry for vfat]

How do I get Debian to recognize this usb storage device? If it is necessary to add filesystem type vfat to the system, how do I do that?

Many thanks.    --Harvey