Re: XFree86 for PowerBook G4 17 w/nVidia

On Nov 28, 2003, at 2:22 PM, Justin Lott wrote:

On Nov 28, 2003, at 1:06 PM, Barry C.Hawkins wrote:

In light of the fact that I seem to have the North Korea of video cards, what would you (and anyone else) recommend in terms of trying to get XFree86 working on a PowerBook G4 17" 1GHz? eBay and another machine? Man, I hope not. Thanks in advance for your assistance. I am reading up on X Windows to try and learn more so that I won't be such a drain to the list.\

Barry,

I have a 12" Powerbook G4 w/the GeForce FX Go5200 chipset. I was able to get X Windows up and running by adding the following to /etc/apt/sources.list (this is from memory so YMMV :)

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ ../experimental main

That will allow you to access the experimental tree. Then just do this:

apt-get -t experimental install x-window-system (and all the other pieces of xfree86 4.3.x)

Thats about it... Hopefully that helps you.

- justin

Justin,
Thanks much. I will try my hand at this when I get home. I am not able to connect my laptop to the network at the office.

Regards,
--
Barry C. Hawkins
All Things Computed