Re: problems installing debian on Powerbook G4 1,25 alu

On Nov 27, 2003, at 3:00 AM, Jens Schmalzing wrote:

Hi,

David Syk writes:

Or as it also is called powerbook g4 fw800

I did as i did on my powerbook g3, but the installer dosent seem to
find any ide-controller, have tried several different kernels,

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?

(is there perhaps someone that already did solve this?)

Well, I just configured my old PowerBook (Pismo) as a netboot server
for my new PowerBook G4 (17" 1.33GHz) and cloned the system with
dump/restore.  Easy as cake.  If you configure netboot servers on a
regular basis.

BTW, I wrote Pismo instead of PowerBook G3 first, and then stalled
when I couldn't figure the nickname of the new PowerBook G4.  So I
looked it, and it's Q41.  Argh.  They don't make codenames like they
used to.

Oh, and I found that Ben's development tree works best for a kernel,
and Michel's dri-trunk snapshots provide a working XServer.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!

Jens,
Do you have any further information on using Michel's dri-trunk snapshots? My attempts in going by the guide at http://dri.sourceforge.net/snapshots/README.Debian have been unsuccessful. When I try to install the xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk package using dselect, dependencies always pull in 4.2.1 stuff. I am still new to Debian, so perhaps I am missing some obvious point. Any guidance would be appreciated.
	I am using a PB G4 17" 1GHz running sid.

Thanks,
--
Barry C. Hawkins
All Things Computed