Re: current mozilla or phoenix debs for PPC?

> > Chris Tillman wrote:
> >
> > > Well, it's true we owe our elders respect (as I give a quick glance
> > >
> > >towards my Mac IIci). But, OTOH, I think the current philosophy of
> > >all-or-none may be a little too inflexible. Especially as m68k users
> > >get fewer and fewer, and developers appear to be an endangered
> > >species. We need a plan for quiet, benign senility where some
> > >architectures are concerned. This does not involve leaving them out in
> > >the cold to die, just restricting them to given (working) versions
> > >and letting the rest go on.
>
> I didn't see the quoted mail, as I'm not subscribed to -powerpc.

I think Chris' mail was in reply to my statement on -powerpc (at least I
seem to remember that mail, a quick check of my -powerpc mbox shows July
21 as the date) regarding obsolete architectures. No idea where that
message got routed around in the meantime :-)

> Obviously, this argument has been brought up numerous times, and part of
> it is, most certainly, true (some packages really are useless on m68k).

Yep, and I'll refrain from further commenting - you've nicely explained
it.

> (No, I don't know what the package with the longest build time is, but
> there are packages that require almost a week to build on m68k...)

Top: python-qt2 (146h), closely followed by python-qt3 (121h) are top for
me.

gcc (94h), mozilla-firebird (68h), glibc (63h) are other contenders.

	Michael