Re: Re[2]: 2002 iBook / Xfree 4.2 artefacts

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 01:13, "?zthanТoi8-r?Q?" wrote:
> > For one, radeon DRI didn't work on PPC yet in XFree86 4.2.
> Several messages I've googled upon while trying to find a soultion
> suggested that 4.3.0 corrected this.

Yes, but you didn't tell us you are running 4.3, you only mentioned
unstable, so I assumed you were running 4.2.

The DRI locking up on server startup is likely a configuration issue
related to AGP then.

You may also want to try my dri-trunk-sid packages for current DRI code.

> > Weird, sounds like endianness breakage or the chip going nuts in
> > general. Does this persist over a reboot?
> The bevhavior is fairly strange in this respect. It persists over
> multiple reboots and/or powercycles, however leaving the system off
> for several hours generally corrects the problem or reduces the severity
> of the effect. However, on occassion the problem escalates to a complete
> breakage of the palette and inversion or shift of some colors -- for
> instance, my purple background fvwm2 may appear orange-green  or
> grayish-blue at times. This also persists over a reboot, however getting
> the iBook to sleep through pmud sometimes causes it to revert to a less
> severe state (as pictured here: http://homepages.stuy.edu/~akoukarkine/artefacts/artefacts.html,
> for example).

Sounds like it could be related to heat?

> None of these effects are visible upon rebooting into OS X
> (Panther), and they do not manifest after running Panther for several hours
> continuously, which suggests the hardware isn't faulty. I also ran the VRAM
> tests included on the Apple hardware test CD, and they came up clean.
> Rebooting into OS X then back into Linux does not solve the problem.

Hmm. This looks similar to an intermittent problem with the Radeon 7200
in my girlfriend's Cube, where radeonfb doesn't always initialize the
palette registers correctly (I assume the effect doesn't get captured on
screenshots taken directly from the iBook?). Does any of the following
have an effect?

      * running at a different depth
      * switching to console and back to X (possibly repeatedly)
      * not using Option "UseFBDev" (unlikely to work with 4.3 though)

Software libre enthusiast    |   http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer