Re: Sound problem in a powerbook 12 inches

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Sergio Paracuellos wrote:

> El lun, 10-11-2003 a las 22:24, Michel Dänzer escribió:
> > On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 00:54, Sergio Paracuellos wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a strange problem with sound to works correctly in my debian sid.
> > > I have ben-kernel2.4.21 and the sound works sometimes. For example, when
> > > I play a film or other thing I haven't any problem, but with ogg123
> > > player and xmms it doesn't works ok. Only works when it wants.
> > > Ogg123 says me:
> > > sergio@link:~/sfdk$ ogg123 audio_10.ogg
> > >
> > > Audio Device:   OSS audio driver output
> > >
> > > Playing: audio_10.ogg
> > > Error: Cannot open device oss.
> >
> > Does sound still work with other apps when this happens? If not, it
> > could be the infamous 'opening /dev/dsp for reading breaks dmasound_core
> > until it's unloaded' bug.
> >
> Sound doesnt works when it happens.
>
> ¿how can I repare?

This is what helps *most* of the time here (Titanium IV) when sound is
gone:

fuser -v /dev/dsp

stop the processes showing up, something similar to:
kill <PID>
or
kill -s 9 <PID>
and restart sound if it isn't available at this point, something like:
modprobe dmasound_pmac

Be careful: it might be one gets logged out of a running Gnome
session after "kill <PID>" (or was it "killall <running processes>"?)
... :)

HTH

Best Regards,
Wolfgang