Re: java with mozilla-firebird & mozilla

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 09:25:16AM +0100, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 01:14, Rob Latham wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 02:20:12AM -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> > > Hey folks,
> > >
> > > so, I'm trying to view a friend's java-based website with
> > > mozilla-firebird, and realize the java plugin's not installed.  (yhis
> > > is all on a blue&white g3 running sid).  From the help page, I
> > > understand I need jre 1.4 compiled with gcc3.2.  But as far as I can
> > > tell, no such jre exists for the powerpc, though some people seem to
> > > have made unofficial .deb's for x86.
> >
> > No debs, but check out the 'contrib/linuxppc' directory on any
> > OpenOffice.org office mirror.
>
> Wow! Indeed that works.
>
> To make it work, add a blackdown mirror to your sources.list,

-- snip --

> install the wanted packages afterwards and now you have java 1.3 for
> gcc3.x compiled mozilla and friends :-)
>
> Thanks a lot for this tip Rob !
>
> Soeren

Thanks Rob and Soeren for the help -- it was very cool to learn how to
make my own java packages; I think these are the first .deb's I've
really made for myself, so that feels great.  Unfortunately, this
didn't solve my problems.

firebird, unfortunately, needs java 1.4.2, and I don't think there's a
deb-src for 1.4.2 anywhere (and it may be that java 1.4.2 for
linux-ppc doesn't yet exist -- for instance, linuxppc doesn't list it
on their java page).  Or have I misunderstood -- has anyone managed to
get firebird to run java on the powerpc yet?

Mozilla, on the other hand, ought to work -- but Im still getting the
same error I did earlier:
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/j2se/1.3/jre/plugin/ppc/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so [/usr/lib/j2se/1.3/jre/plugin/ppc/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so: undefined symbol: __pure_virtual]

SO I guess it isn't related to the gcc version used to compile mozilla
& java.  Anyone have any other ideas?  And again -- does anyone have
java running successfully with mozilla, especially on sid?

thanks agian for all the help,
matt