Re: Power Management for PowerBook 17

El sáb, 08-11-2003 a las 03:23, Benjamin Herrenschmidt escribió:
> > Hmmm I don't know if it's the same, but my imac 15" flat panel with a
> > Nvidia GeForce2 MX can sleep in linux and comebacks without problems...
> >
> > Why should be different the NVidia "albooks"?
>
> I don't think any iMac flat panel can sleep in Linux no, you
> probably just have the display going to DPMS and maybe the
> hard disk stopping, but not the machine deep sleep with CPU
> off, front light glowing etc... At least I never implemented it
> for these :)

I cannot tell you if it's DPMS or a real sleep, but It looks like a
MacOSX sleep..., the display is off (and it's different from the
xscreensaver mode, it does not  stop the display when I activate the
energy settings) and the sleep led is blinking just like MacOSX does.

When I execute the apm command the display shows me a pink screen (the
same one I see just before X starts) and they it stops the machine, then
I just push the power button and I see again the ugly pink screen and
the imac gives me my desktop without problems.

How could I be sure it's not powering off the imac as it should with a
"real" sleep?

> Regarding notebooks, it'm fairly sure that the PMU will shut down
> the graphics chip on these during sleep, which means it needs to be
> rebooted from scratch, which isn't possible to do without either help
> from nvidia or lots of reverse engineering that I don't have time to
> do, especially since I don't have the HW.

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín
Debian GNU/Linux Sid (PowerPC)