Re: radeon graphic speed regression 2.4 -> 2.6 test7 benh

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 17:56, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 17:39, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:

> > > Same here. Soeren, have you verified the difference actually is related
> > > to X, e.g. by redirecting the output to a file? Did you conduct both
> > > tests as soon after bootup as possible to minimize the influence of
> > > caching? ...
> >
> > Yes fresh reboot - both this morning.
> > A time find ./ >/dev/null says on 2.6. :
> >  time find >/dev/null
> >
> > real	4m27.772s
> > user	0m0.855s
> > sys	0m11.292s
> >
> > while it seems slower than 2.4 (not yet tested) it does not justify the
> > 28minutes to display the files :-/
>
> Weird. Maybe this (rather synthetic BTW - it doesn't feel slow doing
> 'real' work, does it?) test tickles very bad behaviour in something
> which has changed radically in the 2.6 kernel, the scheduler maybe?
> CONFIG_PREEMPT might make a difference, pity it causes crashes and all
> around weird behaviour about as soon as RAM is fully used.

It is not synthetic. It feels really sluggish in the shell compared to
2.4... Also I have CONFIG_PREEMPT enabled and now I do wonder that I did
not yet see a random crash - hmmhhh well except for a try to get
cryptoloop working. That was reliably crashing.

Should I go for the old radeon driver ?!

Soeren