Re: Minimal powerpc kernel, miboot users please test (Was Re: modularized powerpc kernel)

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:15:03PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 12:04:36AM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> > Hi Sven
> >
> Please have a look at the two packages in :
>
>   http://people.debian.org/~luther/gaudenz.
>
> One is the :
>
>   kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-small-pmac_2.4.22
>
> package, which contain both the vmlinux and the .coff kernel, the other
> is the :
>
>   kernel-modules-2.4.22-powerpc-small_2.4.22
>
> package whihc contain the modules built for the above kernel. Try them
> out, and if you manage to boot them with miboot or something such, then
> i will make a full build tomorrow again, and upload those, altough they
> will be hold in NEW for some time.

I tried booting this kernel with no success. I tried with miboot and BootX,
and both of them seem to get stuck. The video never changes from the last
Mac screen after it reboots. I also tried with quik, and there it
booted up to the point:

NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0
adb: starting probe task...
EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
cramfs: wrong magic

I was using

 root=/dev/ram
 partition=6
 ramdisk=/root.bin
 append="video=ofonly load_ramdisk=1 ramdisk-size=8192"

I guess this is because I'm asking the kernel to read root.bin off the
disk partition, and it probably doesn't have the ide drivers compiled
in.

However, it didn't get much farther when I tried a kernel that did
have drivers ... it read the partitions OK, but failed soon after

usb.c: registered new driver wacom
set_blocksize: b_count 1, dev ramdisk(1,0), block 1, from c0067bd8

I suppose this is just because quik doesn't load the ram up ahead of
time?

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People