Re: quik kernel size limit

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 10:34:51PM +0200, Mich Lanners wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently it was discussed here whether quik has a limit on kernel size.
>
> Well, while playing with 2.6 kernels I found out: yes, quik _does_ have
> a limit on kernel size. It is exactly 3981312 bytes. In fact, quik

Yep, that seems coherent with what Ben told me. But since we will make
the kernel smaller anyway, in order to fit on a miboot floppy, it should
not be a problem.

> allocates a fixed-size buffer in which the kernel is loaded, and that
> buffer is from 0x14000 to SECOND_BASE (second/main.c), and SECOND_BASE
> is 0x3e0000 (include/layout.h).

Mmm.

> I also didn't find any support for compressed kernels in quik, except if
> they were self-decompressiong (are our compressed kernels?).

Nope, only miboot and chrp/prep/chrp-rs6k support compressed kernels.

> Incidentaly, there's a bug in second/file.c, in load_file(), where a
> device path is predefined as '/dev/sdaX', 'X' being replaced later with
> partno+'0', thus limiting working partition numbers to 1-9, and
> overwriting the terminating \0 on larger partition numbers.

That would be good if it was fixed, or at least properly documented.

Friendly,

Sven Luther