Re: console scancodes for mac-de keyboard

On Saturday 04 October 2003 06.43, Matt Price wrote:
> |hey folks,
> |
> |trying to customize my german keyboard to work the way I want it
> |to. Mostly I want to switch the y and z keys so I can touchtype.  I
> |found that the mac family of keymaps doesn't work for me at all --
> |maybe they're for a different generation of keyboards -- but the i386
> |maps work pretty well.  So now I'm using the de-latin1 keymap with the
> |z and y keys switched around.  So that's fine.  BUt I can't figure out
> |how to define the apple keys as "mode-switch" keys, so I can access
> |the 3rd and 4th keycodes in the keymap table.  So for instance, rightn
> |ow I can't type "@" or "|" from the console.
> |
> |Looking around at the keymaps, I figure I need a key like
> |
> |keycode 100 = AltGr or something.
> |
> |bu:
> |
> |1) -- not sure whether I need AltGr or some other value in that statement
> |2) -- I can't figure out how to identify the scancode of these keys.
> |Is there a trick to doing that?

Try using the command 'showkey' and 'xev' to examine the codes sent by the
keyboard.

> |also...  I would love to synchronize the keyboards in X and the
> |console, instead of having to customize them both separately.  Is
> |there a way to do this?

Perl can be used to write a transformer that is feed with output from 'xmodmap
-pke', and produce an almost complete console keymap. However, you probably
need to handle some special cases anyway.

Anders Lövgren -- lespaul@algonet.se