Re: newbie[live-cd]

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 04:46:05PM -0500, __alejo duque wrote:
> hi list, 1rst post here..glup! ahemm..
> Needing help here for getting through with a linux install on my
> tibook 500mhz, the disk partition has already been done, a debian
> hard drive space of 8gig waiting for it. [havent got yet to put my
> hands on mac fdisk.
> I have d/l'd a gentoo-ppc live cd but it gives a kernel panic all the
> times just after checking all the hardware components, freeing unused
> kernel memory and using cloop.o then:
> insmod: init_module:cloop: invalid argument
> mount: Mounting/dev/cloop on /mnt/live/iso failed
> cp wont work
> no such device
> no such file
> kernel panic
> no matter if i try to boot it live or live-safe i get the same list
> of errors, yesterday i tried a new g4 12" and the same thing happened
> i guess it cant be the cd, since i see the penguin up there and the
> kernel is loaded, i'm courious if one could use the contents of the
> cd to do the install on that partition. so far i havent found clues
> on how to follow from the cd to the hd, meaning that i want to go
> straigh to the mac fdisk inside the cd, create the linux partitions
> and install from there...if that is possible.
> sorry for such a naive question but i hope someone can give me a hand
> perhaps off list or with any url that might be there and i havent yet
> found.

I don't think there are many gentoo users around here ... but
you might want to take the dive and just install debian, on which
gentoo is based.

After you get the installer booted, one of the first few steps is
partitioning, and mac-fdisk is used to do it.

Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People
Chris Tillman (a people instance)
   toff one at cox dot net