Re: newbie[live-cd]

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 04:46:05PM -0500, __alejo duque wrote:
> hi list, 1rst post here..glup! ahemm..
>
> Needing help here for getting through with a linux install on my
> tibook 500mhz, the disk partition has already been done, a debian
> hard drive space of 8gig waiting for it. [havent got yet to put my
> hands on mac fdisk.
>
> I have d/l'd a gentoo-ppc live cd but it gives a kernel panic all the
> times just after checking all the hardware components, freeing unused
> kernel memory and using cloop.o then:
>

> insmod: init_module:cloop: invalid argument
> mount: Mounting/dev/cloop on /mnt/live/iso failed
> cp wont work
> no such device
> no such file
>

> kernel panic
>

> no matter if i try to boot it live or live-safe i get the same list
> of errors, yesterday i tried a new g4 12" and the same thing happened
> i guess it cant be the cd, since i see the penguin up there and the
> kernel is loaded, i'm courious if one could use the contents of the
> cd to do the install on that partition. so far i havent found clues
> on how to follow from the cd to the hd, meaning that i want to go
> straigh to the mac fdisk inside the cd, create the linux partitions
> and install from there...if that is possible.
>
> sorry for such a naive question but i hope someone can give me a hand
> perhaps off list or with any url that might be there and i havent yet
> found.

I don't think there are many gentoo users around here ... but
you might want to take the dive and just install debian, on which
gentoo is based.

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

After you get the installer booted, one of the first few steps is
partitioning, and mac-fdisk is used to do it.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People