Alternative to unstable for Powerbook G4

Hi all,

For the last half year I have been using my Powerbook G4 12" with debian
unstable. At this moment (almost) everything I need is working properly
with this distribution (thanks to this list, the developers and package
builders out there). Unstable is accroding to me very very stable for
its name but still sometimes things are broken, like kde4 for me at this
time.

So I was wondering, instead of having the bleeding edge stuff, what
alternative is there at this time and what are peoples experiences with it?

Can I with this hardware downgrade to sid? testing? ...? What is better? Is it more stable than 'unstable'? How far is this alternative lagging behind regarding unstable? Will Powerbook G4 12" work with it? Is apt-get dist-upgrade 'always' resulting in a stable system? What are most of the Powerbook G4 users out there using at this time?

As for the kernel, I'm completely satisfied with rsyncing it myself with
penguinppc, so it more of a question on kde and gnome stability.

Thanks,

Pander