Re: kernel-patch-2.4.22-powerpc and multiple subarches.

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 10:16:15AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am lmost ready to generate kernel-image packages for the various
> different subarches, but i have still a few questions which needs to be
> solved.
>
>   1) Well, doing this without changes to make-kpkg would mean have as
>   many copies of the modules as there is kernel-image packages. Since
>   each of them take around 8-10Mo, this would mean lot of bloat. Is this
>   ok, or should i make a modules-image package and have the
>   kernel-images depend on it. (this is more of a question to the about
>   to be created debian-linux-kernel list or something, i think).
>
>   2) i have tried building a ibmchrp package, and it fails in highmem.c.
>   That has made me ask question about the config files. Is it ok to
>   build all 5 subarches (old-pmac, new-pmac, prep, chrp & chrp-rs6k)
>   from the same set of config files, or will we need something
>   particular for some of the non-pmac ? As i am not that familiar with
>   the rs6k hardware, i would like to know opinion of people knowing
>   about them.
>
> So, if we go ahead with this, we will again support all of the powerpc
> subarches, and not only the powermacs as it is done currently. Still
> apus would use its own kernel (which does not build udebs, Michel could
> you look into it if we want to have debian-installer support for apus),
> and mbx, altough i am not sure we support this one.

And by the way, do i need to build the smp kernels for all subarches.
I am sure there are chrp-rs6k and new-pmac SMP boxes, but what about
chrp, prep and old-pmac ? I guess that there are old-pmac SMP boxes, but
don't know about the others.

Friendly,

Sven Luther