XMMS and alsa output on sid (goes too fast)

I've been trying to get xmms 1.2.8 working with the now-included ALSA output.
I've had ALSA installed here for a while, but have been using the OSS
compatability layer (with sucess). Now I'm trying to convert to using ALSA
directly.

I have an original iBook with the PowerMac DACA sound chip. After changing the
mixer device to Master, I could get xmms to play sounds. However, they play
too fast. It seems that the rate of the sound is 44 kHz, but the sound card
expects 44.1 kHz. I liked the Chipmunks as a kid, but ...

I've tried messing around with my .asoundrc file, but with no sucess. Has
anyone here dealt with this problem? Any ideas about what I could try?

Frank