Re: kernel-creator package (was: Re: mplayer packages)

On 12 Sep 2003, Jens Schmalzing wrote:

> Martin-Éric Racine writes:
>
> > G3 and G4 kernels could be optimized with specific hardware in mind,
> > e.g. G3 for iBook and iMac CRT, G4 for Cube and everything after,
> > etc.
>
> Your idea has some validity since the current situation is less than ideal -
> there is a generic kernel that most people recompile and hand-tweak for
> their systems as one of the first post-installation steps.

And since recompiling fails repeatedly for the dmasound drivers (abundantly
documented elsewhere on this list), I am back to square one and end up using
the generic powerpc kernel, which is less than satisfactory.

> Recently, a slightly different idea popped up on debian-private.  Have a
> package that depends on the kernel source, contains or pulls in appropriate
> patches, guides the user through a selection of .config files, and finally
> builds and installs a kernel semi-automatically.

That would be briliant!

--
Martin-Éric Racine
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/